Please refresh your browser and scroll down to view our articles and photos. Thank you for your visit.
Lake Hawea, New Zealand

Updates on China Travel Advice

As of February 16, 2020, the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all travel to Hubei Province due to the ongoing novel coronavirus outbreak. The FCO advise against all but essential travel to the rest of mainland China (not including Hong Kong and Macao). The British Consulates-General in Wuhan and Chongqing are currently closed. If you’re in China and able to leave, you should do so. The elderly and those with pre-existing medical conditions may be at heightened risk.

The Chinese government continues to impose further restrictions on movement within China in response to the coronavirus outbreak. These restrictions include the closure of some provincial highways and the cancellation of many inter-city rail services. Internal flights continue to operate at much reduced levels. Separately, there are tight controls on entry and exit to villages and townships across the country, and varying degrees of restriction on movement within every province, and individual cities and municipalities. Provinces exercising the most restrictions include Chongqing, Zhejiang, Anhui and Heilongjiang. A large number of airlines, including British Airways and Virgin Atlantic, have announced a suspension of flights to and from mainland China. Other commercial airlines are still operating, but it may become harder to access departure options over the coming weeks.

A number of countries have announced restrictions on entry by travellers from China in response to the coronavirus outbreak. Given the fast-changing situation, you should check the latest FCO travel advice (including entry requirements) for your destination and anywhere you are transiting through, and check with your airline before you travel.

Since 31 January, some staff and dependents from the British Embassy and Consulates are being withdrawn. Essential staff needed to continue critical work, including consular assistance, will remain. British Consulates-General in Shanghai and Guangzhou will – for the immediate future – continue to provide essential travel documentary services to British nationals wishing to leave China (but no other consular assistance). The ability of the British Embassy and Consulates to provide face-to-face assistance to British nationals from within China is currently limited, and would be even more limited in the event that the situation deteriorates further. British nationals in China who need consular support should call +86 (0)10 8529 6600 or the FCO in London on +44 (0) 207 008 1500.

You should always take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel.

The typhoon season in China normally runs from May to November. You should monitor the progress of approaching storms and follow the advice of the local authorities.

Foreign nationals over the age of 16 must carry their passport at all times.

You must register your place of residence with the local Public Security Bureau within 24 hours of arrival.

China has a zero tolerance policy on drugs. There are severe penalties for drugs-related offences including the death penalty. Police often raid bars and nightclubs checking for the use of illicit substances. Raids on private homes have also occurred.

Terrorists are likely to try to carry out attacks in China. Although foreigners haven’t been specifically targeted, attacks may occur in places visited by foreigners. You should take particular care during national holidays or when transiting public transport hubs, and always follow the advice of the local authorities. Previous attacks have targeted public places including on one occasion at a railway station and an open air market in 2014. There have been no recent attacks in the main tourist areas. The risk is higher in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous region. You should take particular care and remain vigilant when travelling to or within Xinjiang.

Don’t attempt to travel to Tibet without getting the correct permits. The Tibetan Autonomous Region (TAR) can be closed to foreigners without notice.

In response to Coronavirus, the Hong Kong SAR Government has closed all border crossings with mainland China indefinitely, with the exception of the Shenzhen Bay Checkpoint and the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge. All ferry crossings between Hong Kong and mainland China will cease. There has been a significant reduction in flights between mainland China and Hong Kong, though some flights are still operating.

In light of ongoing protests and demonstrations in Hong Kong, there are reports of greater scrutiny from mainland authorities at border crossings between the mainland and Hong Kong. This includes reports that travellers’ electronic devices have been checked at border crossings. You should be aware that the thresholds for detention and prosecution in China differ from those in Hong Kong.

Territorial disputes between China and neighboring countries have caused high regional tension. There have been anti-Japanese and anti-Korean demonstrations in several cities across China.

end ribbon

Quote of the Day:
“I have found out that there ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them.”

Stay Informed, Stay Connected, Stay Safe!

Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, A SERVICE OF THE BUREAU OF CONSULAR AFFAIRS from U.S. Department of State,

Insurance Providers for Overseas Coverage
The U.S. government does not provide medical insurance for U.S. citizens overseas. The U.S. government do not pay medical bills. You should purchase insurance before you travel. In general, Medicare and Medicaid do not cover medical costs overseas. Before you go, consider your insurance options.

Considerations When Looking At Travel Insurance

Travel insurance varies widely and one should carefully read the terms of an insurance policy to make sure it fits the needs of the traveler. For example, does it cover:
  • Emergency medical care
  • Medical transport back to the United States
  • Travel/accommodation costs
  • 24 hour contact line
  • Sufficient financial coverage
  • The region(s) you travel in
  • Duration of travel
  • Pre-existing conditions
  • Activities you plan on engaging in
  • Emergency Evacuation: Evacuation for medical treatment or to leave a crisis area in another country can cost more than $100,000. You should strongly consider purchasing evacuation insurance in case of emergency overseas.

    Home About Us Terms of Use Privacy Pledge

    Website Design & Web Content Copyright © 2018 Sunburst Worldwide Enterprises. All Rights Reserved. Warning: All of the pages on this online magazine are the intellectual property of Sunburst Worldwide Enterprises and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws. Reproduction by any means or for any purpose is not allowed without the express written permission of the copyright owner. Plagiarism is a theft. is an online publication of Sunburst Worldwide Enterprises. By using this site, you agree to our Terms and Conditions of Use.